18 July, 2011

Adjusted?!

Success on day 3 of sleeping in Cairo!  Went to sleep at 11:30 pm and awoke at 9:30 am.  I wish I could say the same for Scott who, as evidenced by a tidy kitchen this morning, was wide awake during the wee hours of the night.
As a first-timer in the business of living abroad I’m seeing that a key ingredient to making a good go of the experience is being a bit fearless.  Even stepping outside the apartment front door I am met with issues of disorientation (which way is north again?), where to walk to avoid the steady flow of oncoming traffic on a very narrow road, who to talk to (can they speak English; can I understand them; are they trying to sell something; etc).  The next dilemma is finding the balance between bravery and recklessness.  Being friendly to the people that approach me, but not too friendly; looking like I’m walking with purpose when I don’t necessarily know where I am going.  Walking alone because I can’t stay cooped up while Scott is at work (after having heard that walking alone can be bothersome for some women).  I have also been told that cab drivers can be unsafe to ride with alone, but do foresee having to do that.
These are the sorts of things swimming through my head as I have my morning coffee (in the morning!  I have made the time change!), yet all experiences out and about to date have been very safe, exciting, and amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment